Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Risks of service

I tend to give my wife a hard time about most things, its just one of the big ways I show affection (that kind of sounds awful when I read it back to myself).  Kate's hypochondria tends to a be one of the major targets for my playful teasing - I just find it adorable when she suspects that her leg bruise will turn into a blood clot or that her headache is most certainly an embolism in process.

Let this blog post serve as an apology to her for all the teasing and maybe even a realization that for now, it might be better to play things safe.

During our 27 months of service, our physical health will be tested with foreign bacteria (such as giardia), viruses (such as dengue), fevers, poor nutrition, heat rashes, sunburns, frequent smoke inhalation (y'know, from burning trash) bouts of horrendous diarrhea as well as the countless unknown ailments.  This is not to even begin to think about the potentiality for more serious or life-threatening issues like bike/car accidents, bug or snake bites, etc.

I have the utmost faith in our Medical Officer (she is amazing, kudos to her if she ever reads this) to keep Kate and I healthy and safe in emergency situations and in our day-to-day health.  However, some of the effects of living here may be of concern for our long-term health.

This started becoming a more serious thought for me a few days ago when I was teaching.  A teacher noticed that the trash barrel was full, and because there is no trash pick up or landfills, lit the trash on fire to burn it.  This is totally common and needs to happen regularly to keep up with accumulating trash.  Unfortunately, the wind was not in my favor this day, and the thick acrid smoke blew into my classroom.  This was not the first time, nor will it be the last.  After dismissing class early so that my students and I could get some fresh air, I started to think...

The majority of trash burned in Cambodia is plastic, which typically produces a noxious, toxic and sometimes carcinogenic smoke.  Long-term effects of breathing in this delightful concoction, I'm sure, are not good.

That same week, I was with a fellow PCV contemplating whether or not our Cambodian diets were healthy or not.  Admittedly, we eat less fatty foods, less meat and probably end up eating more fresh vegetables on a daily basis.  However, a huge portion of our diet is white rice - essentially just empty carbohydrates.  Our major source or protein?  Duck eggs.  Did you know duck eggs can have up to four times as much cholesterol as the average chicken egg?  On an average day here, I probably eat AT LEAST one duck egg, but more like two.  After reading the article on the cholesterol levels of duck eggs, I thought I could feel my arteries start to harden.

When we return home, the Peace Corps will give us a year of covered health care in case health issues crop up due to our 27 months of service.  Initially, I found this incredibly generous.  I am beginning to wonder if it is enough...

3 comments:

  1. Yikes! Have to admit, in your video when you mentioned burning trash, my first thought was "aaaand that's not healthy"! But you'll be very conscious to avoid it now, I'm sure. Are there many beans or dairy products there? You could get your protein from those! Do you even like beans? I guess I don't know how much of your cooking you do for yourself vs. eat with a family...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unless PC has changed their policy, you'll have to buy health insurance coverage. :( Also, you should be able to buy chicken eggs. Less cholesterol and less smelly. Don't the duck eggs smell weird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIght, sorry, misread the healthcare thing. Looks like they give you a month when you are home and then the option for enrolling for up to 18 months after service.

      For the chicken eggs, I have asked around a lot...where did you buy them? I actually don't mind the taste of the duck eggs, they have grown on me.

      Delete