Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Eight (wonderful, happy, amazing, exciting and years

This week marks a particularly happy milestone for my wife and I - we have known each other (and have been what I would essentially call "together") for eight long, happy and love-filled years.

The early years, as evidenced by my having hair.   And not so coincidentally, almost the exact spot where I proposed. 
While the marriage odometer is not yet reading even two years, Kate and I have been through so much with each other that its difficult to think about life without her now.  Happily, I don't have to.

Throughout the years we have endured summers on different sides of the country, semesters apart (Kate in Rome, me in Beijing), grad school and demanding jobs that only allowed us weekends together for two years before we were married, and even tougher jobs that granted us little time to enjoy each others' company after we tied the knot.

After some quick and dirty math, I realized that the past six months (yes, we have been in Cambodia for six months now) marks the longest stretch of time that we have ever spent together.  As in, sharing a bed every night, seeing each other for extended periods of time throughout the day and eating most meals together.

During Pre-Service Training, we were instructed that as a married couple, we had a high probability of "becoming more impatient with each other," "growing tired of seeing each other everyday" and some even went so far as to say "resenting each other."  I found this puzzling because I was so excited for the chance to spend two years of, essentially, uninterrupted time with my wife.  Why else would I have married her if not to be with her as much as possible?

The blissfully wonderful "Big Day."  Photo credit: B. Scott Photography
I consider this period of time to be a true gift for our marriage.  Surely, once we return home, busy jobs, dogs, babies (eventually) and life will inevitably catch up with us and make the time we get to spend together all the more precious and scarce.  The ability to work on professional projects together, teach classes together and struggle through the rigors of living in a foreign culture together is something that most married couples do not have the opportunity to experience.  It has already made us stronger and the memories we have made and will continue to make are something I know our grandchildren will know inside and out.    

Christmas in Kep, Cambodia.  
So, to my wife I have nothing but thanks and love for the past eight years and for the coming eighty.  Thank you for loving me despite my flaws and for laughing with me through the tough times.  I can't imagine a better partner for the Peace Corps or for life.

To everyone else, I wish you all the happiness that I find each day with Kate.  If applying and serving in the Peace Corps has taught me anything about my relationship, it is that you should always take the time to do the things you want to do as a couple.  Don't let any excuses get in the way and enjoy the ride together.



3 comments:

  1. Happy 8 years to you guys! That's awesome. I agree with you, I love spending all of this time with my husband, it's something we never got back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it baby. Feel the same way, including the cheers to 80 years more, as I said the exact same thing on my post. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sweet post! Happy 8 years, you two. :)

    ReplyDelete