Monday, January 9, 2012

PCV Cambodia pocket dump

***Warning, what proceeds is ultra nerdy...

For those of you who don’t already know, I am a huge fan of gadgets.  To be more specific, I am a huge fan of utility-increasing gadgets.  I am not the kind of person (read: d-bag) who is constantly linked to the Internet by having my iPhone, iPad and iPod touch (as a backup, y’know...?) never out of arms reach.  Nor am I some kind of gun-toting survivalist hell-bent on being the last man standing, grinning and yelling “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” over a pile of zombie corpses or in a bunker avoiding nuclear fallout (but if it happens, my pocket multi-tool will save me).  I simply respect the utility that a simple, compact tool(s) can provide and really enjoy gadgets that make one’s unique daily activates a bit more efficient or fun. 

The tools I most enjoy are typically compact, built to last with high-quality materials and are pertinent to the user’s needs.  I have always prided myself on having that certain tool on my person to handily confront any problem and impress those around me with my preparedness.     

Recently, I have taken great comfort in discovering that I am not alone in my quest for the brightest, most compact and alarmingly expensive flashlight or the sharpest and lightest pocketknife.  “Everyday Carry” or EDC for short, is a kind of philosophy or outlook that seeks to streamline and make efficient that which we carry on a daily basis.  This EDC blog, while often repetitive and sometimes obsessive from a mainstream perspective, is one of my absolute favorites and might help illustrate what I am talking about better than I can. 
Batman and his utility belt.  The godfather of gadgets and EDC.  Image from Wikipedia.com
In a world where the amount of “stuff” we carry or value tends to overwhelm us or perhaps even prevent us from enjoying our lives, it makes sense to examine what we deem worthy to lug around with us and accompany us as we face each day and the joys or challenges that come with it.  A “pocket dump” is essentially just that – a pouring out of what one regularly carries on their person to see what’s there.  I think the point of this is to take a look at what you tend to carry around with you and see if there is something there that you simply don’t need, or conversely, something you could add that would add an (extra) element of safety, efficiency, happiness or even style to your daily goings on. 

I thought it would be kind of cool to see what I am carrying around here in Cambodia as a PCV/English teacher. 

What I am carrying...
Going from top left to right…

 Saddleback walletSaddleback is this amazing brand that creates durable and quality leather goods, all of which come with 100-year warranties.  By far the best wallet I have ever owned, its layout and size allow me to store all my essentials (cash, business cards, license, credit cards, etc.) while preventing me from stuffing my wallet full of junk, causing me to sit lopsided and probably develop scoliosis.  My bike key laying on top fits perfectly flush into one of the wallet pockets.

Gerber Crucial Tool – Since arriving in Cambodia this little gem has had the honored spot of accessibility on my left hip (after getting my luggage from the carousel and exiting the airport, of course…).  Included in this compact yet sturdy multi-tool is a blade (half straightedge, half serrated), pliers, screwdrivers, bottle opener and a clip to secure to my pocket.  I tend to go with a more serious locking blade at home, but I am a little worried about perception as a PCVs in Cambodia.

Nokia cell phone – Aside from the Peace Corps rule that my phone needs be on my person and turned on at all times, I find this little technological link to be incredibly reassuring in my daily life here.  Texting family and friends back to the states for only three cents a shot or being able to call my wife up on a moment’s notice to warn her of an impending laundry-soaking downpour or ask her to meet me at our favorite pork and rice restaurant, is truly worth its weight in gold.  It also has electronic versions of Snake and Sudoku so I can look busy and important when I am on the bus or between classes and want to avoid being asked about my sex life by Cambodian men. 

Casio SGW100B-3V Digital Watch – I got this watch to fill in for my Wenger AquaGraph (gift from my wife I didn't want scratched up) while I am in Cambodia.  It is great for a few reasons.  The digital compass, durability and tough but comfortable watchband have convinced me this was a good decision. 

4Sevens Quark R5 flashlight (not pictured) – This one is a sob story.  For my last birthday, my beautiful wife spent a silly amount of money on a flashlight that I had been drooling over for months.  I loved it…and maybe more importantly, it was an extension of my wife’s love for me and her tolerating of my ridiculous obsessions.  It was so freaking bright, sturdy and small.  Somehow, it jumped off of my belt during my first month in Cambodia and took with it a piece of my heart.  Really a shame too, because a flashlight in Cambodia is an essential piece of gear between power outages, the lack of streetlights and the ridiculously early hour people turn off their lights and go to bed over here.  A replacement may or may not already be on its way…

Bandana – I was taught at an early age that carrying a handkerchief was the sign of a true gentleman.  Also, Cambodia = really sweaty and dirty.  Some days I carry two.   

Under Amour sunglasses – Maybe my most vital piece of hardware in Cambodia.  My eyes are really sensitive; for me, I equate stepping out into a bright day with what a newborn child experiences when it is pulled from the womb into all that fluorescent lighting.  Also, my primary mode of transportation in Cambodia is my bike.  During the dry season, it’s impossible to keep dirt and grit out of your eyes unless you wear some kind of eye protection. 

Keychain (left) – Carabiner, keys, Saddleback keychain, Streamlight Nano mini flashlight. Connects/detaches easily to the other keychain via a Victorinox QD keychain. 

Keychain (right) – Spyderco bug (keychain knife), split pea peanut lighter, Gerber Shard keychain tool, Batman symbol keychain (an homage to the master of EDC and gadgetry), Washington Capitals retrieval lanyard. 

While I don't really consider it to be an EDC item, my backpack is almost always with me.  In it I carry some more serious items for my work in Cambodia (dry-erase markers, school activity books, folders), as well as a backup flashlight, medical kit and a few other odds and ends like hand sanatizer, drink mix packets and the like. 

So my big question to you...what am I missing?  What are your favorite tools that you carry on a daily basis that you think I simply cannot live without?  Or conversely, what do you think I am totally nuts for carrying with me on a daily basis. 


2 comments:

  1. you truly are the batman of cambodia. everything you carry has helped me as some time or another. thank you and don't ever stop carrying it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you, handyman! How do you have space in your pockets for all that stuff? The things I almost always have on me: chapstick, iPhone (say what you will), and a notebook + pen. Much less... survivalist? :)

    ReplyDelete