Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Where are we going? Does it matter? It shouldn't.

Kate and my application to the Peace Corps timeline has been fairly unique from what I have read in other PC blogs.  We are serving as a married couple so we knew it was bound to have some differences than most others (only about 10% of PCVs are married).  I have already mentioned in previous posts that Kate has a blog that details, much better than I could, our precise timeline and the victories and challenges we have had along the way.  But, its worth talking about some of these points here for the sake of my post topic.

Right now you could probably, technically define us as either invitees or nominees.  Our respective online portals have been updated to show that Kate and I have indeed been invited, yet our actual invitation has been delayed at the PC office for about a week with no end in sight.  C'est la vie.  I flip-flop between feelings of relief that we are invited and the inner foot-stomping child in me that just wants it now.

Earlier in February we were actually given a choice of deployment dates when we were officially cleared to serve by our Placement Officer - to make a long and boring story short, we decided upon July 19th, 2011 and the region was Asia.  Now, if you are an applicant, I would buy you a beer and shake your hand if you could look me in the eye and tell me that once the application process started really rolling, you didn't do some serious Internet-sleuthing to try and figure out what country your nomination date and region might equate to.  I will admit that I did (do).  Therefore, if you take the date we are supposed (don't jinx us) to be deployed, and factor in that Asia is our region, then you come up with Cambodia (which has been July 19th for a few years now).

Its not a secret to my friends and family that I preferred an Asia post - I focused on Asian studies in college, speak (very basic) Chinese and lived in Beijing during a semester abroad.

A confession: Until recently, I thought it really mattered where we were going to be deployed in the PC, and I'll admit that I was hoping for some countries over others.  I don't feel that way anymore, and I haven't for some time.  To be cliche (and quote Aerosmith), "Life's a journey, not a destination."  I think that has always really been my mentality about the whole experience.  I trust in the wisdom of the bureaucratically laced Peace Corps to send Kate and I to an area of the world in which we can be the most helpful.  My temporary preference for some countries over others was really just a symptom of the world traveler in me making its preferences known.  I started envisioning myself more in some parts of the world over others.  This is a dangerous game to play.

Those that join the PC will likely be the kind of people who love to travel.  To a large extent, this will serve volunteers well.  Seasoned travelers have tricks and routines to help keep travel efficient and exciting.  But the PC is not a trip, its not merely a way to indulge your inner restless soul, and its certainly not a vacation.  The PC is a job that needs gettin' done, and a whole bunch of people have decided that you are the person to do it.  That is really awesome.  I don't take it lightly.

It turns out that I am a believer.  All those corny slogans and goose-bump inducing stories of success and service resonate with me.  What's more, they enthuse me.  For the most part, I am a pretty mellow person and it takes a bit to get through my fog of cynicism.  As a PCV I get an opportunity to help others that so many other Americans will never know.  A privilege of the privileged.  I complain a lot, if not aloud then internally, about the world as it is and how it could be a much better place.  The chance to put my money where my mouth is, is incredibly appealing to me.  In a really great way, I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders.  I didn't think it was possible to feel this way after four years of undergrad and two solemn year of Master's work studying international relations broke my spirit.  Am I giddy?  

All this being said, I think there is a balance to be found between serving in an area of the world that you may have some knowledge of or experience in and realizing that the reason that you are there at all is not to just collect another stamp in your passport, but to actually make a difference.    

What's your take?  Are you a believer or is the PC just an avenue to finally having your dream come true of sleeping under mosquito netting?  Is there room for both?

No comments:

Post a Comment