Monday, February 21, 2011

Gadgetgasm

My name is Chris (hi, Chris), and I am addicted to gadgets.

That feels really good, its been on my chest for a long time.  I am not sure when my gadget addiction really came into existence, I suspect it is a side effect of my fondness (read: obsession) for James Bond, science fiction, and especially, for Batman.

My addiction to these often expensive and useful little tools has really begun to affect my marriage - whipping out my Leatherman each night before bed and telling it how pretty it is has started to concern my wife and I am getting tired of hiding Amazon and hiking store receipts in my sock drawer.

The upside?  I am very nearly always prepared to simultaneously deal with a hangnail, plane crash, and nuclear apocalypse.  My brain is wired to think pragmatically and with a specific eye for tightening and loosening the nuts and bolts of life (except for the times I fantasize myself as Batman).  My love for gadgets springs from a desire to always be prepared and accomplish tasks as efficiently as possible.

In the Peace Corps, I will be relying on an intense knowledge of gadgets that until now, has only been a reason for my dearest family and friends to mock me incessantly.  Who's laughing now?

I intend to make the obligatory Peace Corps Packing list post eventually, but for the time being, I wanted to highlight some of my favorite gadgets, and a few that I may try to clandestinely buy when Kate is distracted buying something practical like underwear or pants.

1. Gerber Crucial Tool - The thing I like best about good multi-tools, is when they function as they should.  This compact little dynamo of efficiency has only a few basic tools (screwdrivers, knife, pliers, etc.) but they function so well, and are so thoughtfully integrated into the tool, that it has become my daily companion.  There are few tasks I run into during my daily routine that this little guy won't help me complete.  Extra credit to Gerber for incorporating its knife experience into this multi-tool (unlike SO many other multi-tools - when clipped to your pocket or hung from your belt, its very easy to get this tool out and operate the knife with one hand - quick and efficient.

Gerber 31-000238 Crucial Tool














2. Pelican VB3 Clip Light - Super light, compact, water resistant, and surprisingly bright for an LED.  There is nothing more I could ask for from a gadget who's role is to provide light in unexpected situations.  The deal clincher for me is the handy and strong clip on the back of the light that I use to secure it onto my watch band, hat lid, or other fixed surface and provides for hands free use.




3.  Casio SGW100B Digital Watch - Not sure if an ordinary watch truly qualifies as a Bond-caliber gadget, but this one does.  Besides keeping great time, it has an accurate magnetic compass, thermometer, every kind of alarm or dual time zone feature you might think of, and a reasonable price tag.  I like the quality of the heavy duty nylon band and the scratch/water resistant body for the price tag as well.




4.   Simplehuman Bag Capsule - This lightweight and compact little number is a marvel in my mind.  Inside the tube is a roll of plastic (think garbage bags).  Simply pull out the plastic to the desired length and use the built-in cutting tool to separate the bag.  Unfurl, and knot at one end.  Instantly, you have a plastic bag that is just the right size - you can even seal the bag with another knot at the opposing end for undesirable materials like diapers, gifts from your pets, etc.  Given the amount of waste I will likely face while in the PC and the unknown frequency of waste disposal opportunities, this gem is already in my "take" pile for the PC.  The only drawback in my mind is that the gadget creates plastic bags, a non-renewable and environmentally harmful material.



5.  Saddleback Briefcase - I cannot say enough about these bags and I had to include the medium that allows me to stylishly carry around all of my toys.  For so long I yearned for one of these quality leather bags with nearly indestructible components, beautiful full grain boot leather (check their website saddlebackleather.com for a crash course in the finer points of leather goods and manufacturing), and 100-year, yes 100-year, warranty.  First off, how is a 100-year warranty even possible these days?  To me, it speaks volumes about the owner's faith in his own products and the simple and elegant kind of design that I thought did not exist anymore.  Simply put, they are beautiful, smell incredible, and will outlive you.  While these reasons alone may not get you further than a glance at the price tag, which is admittedly staggering, I dare you to put it on and not feel like Indiana Jones.  Double dare you, in fact.

  


The products above, I will solemnly vouch for as a gadget addict.  I think they will not only help me to serve those around me throughout my tenure as a Peace Corps Volunteer, but also make my life a littler easier while there.  If nothing else, they are all pretty cool conversation starters.

Of course, I use any excuse to grab a new gadget, and that includes taking up new hobbies solely because the hobby itself requires an extensive use of gadgets.  Beer brewing, hiking, and running are just some of my recent gadget-induced undertakings.  But the Peace Corps...well that really breaks the mould.  I mean, the potential use of gadgets while serving is practically limitless, and the ability to justify buying them is mind blowing.

Take this amazing little product I recently discovered while perusing an issue of Men's Journal:

Sugru - While the picture I pulled may not do it justice, if this little wonder putty does what it claims, then it has my undivided attention, and a small earmark on my next paycheck.  From what I understand, Surgu is a kind of clay-like material that comes in a variety of colors, can be moulded into virtually any shape and adheres to pretty much any object.  Once out of the airtight package, it cures in about 24 hours to a silicone-like consistency that is dishwasher safe, water proof, and 100% awesome.  I can imagine that it could be used to fix a hole in the sole of your shoe, a snapped pair of sunglasses, or even a provide a quick modification to a handled gadget.  Imagine that: a gadget-fixing-gadget.  There are no words.  My one concern is that the packaging kind of makes it look like a plastic explosive, which makes me worried that I might get tapped for the much-dreaded, "random" screening at airport security.

Smart Hacks Super Pack

SteriPEN - Basically a water purification system that uses UV light to kill any pathogens, bacteria, etc.  Obviously, putting this light in your would be drinking water is not going to remove any particulate or make it crystal clear if you are drinking from a muddy puddle.  What it should do is keep you safe from any of the really scary germs and bugs floating in contaminated water sources or foreign taps.  The PC provides various methods to clean water, but I can think of about a dozen hypotheticals when bottled water is more than an honest hike away and you need water now.  I would really be curious to know if anyone has used this with any conclusive, positive results (though I think hearing about negative results might be more valuable) as there is really only one way to test this one.
SteriPEN Classic Handheld Water Purifier
Travelon 3 Speed Fan - My money is on us being deployed somewhere on the hot and humid side of the world.  Since I tend to sweat like an Eskimo in Arizona, I want at least the illusion of having some type of climate control.  At two pounds and about ten bucks, this guy might be my champion.  Cheap and light enough that I can justify buying and brining it, but also looks like it moves a fair amount of air.  It will have the added benefits of being small enough to be hung or mounted near my sleeping area (perhaps with Sugru?), loud enough to provide some nice white sleeping noise, and hopefully will keep some bugs out of that pesky spot right in your ear that prevents you from enjoying anything sleep has to offer.  My bottom line here is that "its worth a shot."






I am begging and pleading for you to share with me your most used and relied upon gadgets that could help me in the PC or give me a nice gadget fix.  Keep in mind I am slightly frugal/extremely cheap, so bonus for suggestions that don't break my bank (its a small and fragile bank, think non-profit salary).  




Images used in this post are from company websites of respective products and should be credited as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment