Monday, February 6, 2012

Pic of the week - Cambodian U-Haul

I have realized that after over six months in Cambodia, the amount of pictures I have taken is just dismally low.

Sometimes I think that not even pictures could capture the feelings in some of the more interesting moments here, and to an extent, I think thats true.  But I need to make more of an effort to visually capture the good and bad, the funny and the sad and the daily and the extraordinary.  If nothing else, I will want photographic evidence when I am explaining my PC stories to friends and family back home.

Therefore, I am going to try my damnedest to be consistent in taking and posting a new "special picture" every week.  I try to include pictures in my normal blog posts when I can, but I am hoping that this weekly segment will encourage me to keep my camera at the ready so I can capture all those things I have been meaning to or wish that I had the chance to but my camera was out of reach.

Over the weekend, Kate and I visited our training village.  It had been over two months since we last saw our training host grandma and she was so happy to see us.  We bumped into a few other friends we had made in the town as well.  It felt good to know those relationships didn't just disintegrate after we left.

Anyhow, on the 12k trip there, I came across this beauty.  Not uncommon here, but still so amazing.  I stopped my bike to snap a few shots.



The driver slowed down to say hi to me as he saw I was taking his picture, and the two guys riding on top were all to happy to smile and wave.

I have always hated moving day, but I guess I was just doing it wrong.

Despite the incredibly dangerous traffic hazard this could be, it shows a lot about Cambodian resourcefulness, their attitudes and lack of understanding about traffic safety and strong desire to get the job done in as few moves as possible.

Why take two cars when we can fit nine people in a Toyota Camery?  Not a riddle and not a joke.  I've been there...



No comments:

Post a Comment