Sunday, July 24, 2011

Apologies and Almost to Cambodia!


Ok – so I warned everyone reading this that I probably was not going to be consistent and that I was probably going to disappoint you with how little I wrote.  So really, you shouldn’t be disappointed at all, but rather pleased that I kept my promise of apathy and aloofness intact. 

Part of my reason/excuse for not writing is that I really did not feel that what I had to say over the past few months was worth putting out there.  I think I had a pretty similar experience to anyone who was planning on leaving the country for two years – it was hectic, I ate a lot of food that is terrible for me and I said goodbye with tears in my eyes more times than I care to admit. 

Nonetheless, that was then and this is now.  Over the past few days we have met our fellow Peace Corps Cambodia trainees in San Francisco and participated in (read: endured) a day of what I will refer to as pre-pre-Peace Corps training.  Basically, we all recalled the reasons and decisions behind joining the PC and recorded them for us to reflect on in about 12 months when we would surely be tested by the rigors of service.  Kate and I also had our “last meal” – a splurge at Whole Foods (thanks, Grandma!!) of a cacophony of different prepared foods, desserts and fruits and veggies that we may not get for a while.   We ate this, of course, on our hotel bed with only the titanium spoke I carry in my pack (as we were so excited for the food we forgot about utensils…details.) 

Kate and I, along with 60 other Peace Corps Cambodia trainees, are on our way to Cambodia!  After a grueling journey to Thailand (during which I made the mistake of doing the math and determining that I had gotten eight hours of sleep in the last 80) we are now about to board a plane to Cambodia.  When there, we are told that we will be touring part of the city and getting our vaccinations.  After a night’s stay, we will be on our way to Takeo – a training village where we will spend the next two or so months learning Khmer, being trained how to be effective teachers, learning security protocols, etc. 

To any friends and family reading this, your support and love over the past six months, and especially the past few weeks, have just been amazing.  We would not have been able to board all of our planes with smiles on our faces without your love and great sendoffs.  Thank you – and please keep an eye on Kate and my blogs for updates as much as possible!!!

More to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment